3.30.2009

Spirulina

I first learned about Spirulina from Sara Snow on her show, Get Fresh. I purchased the powdered form of the algae at the grocery store after learning about the health benefits. I mix it with a glass of water or incorporate it into my smoothies and granola. Although it looks green and scary, you can't taste it at all when its mixed in smoothies or granola. When I drink it with water, I wouldn’t say it tastes good but it doesn’t taste bad (fish oil pills are WAY worse) and the health benefits are worth it. I resorted to an online article in The Guardian to help explain the benefits.

Spirulina are blue-green filamentous algae. It has been shown to be a complete protein, high in essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, photosynthetic pigments including chlorophyll and beta-carotene. It enhances the body's cellular communication process and also has the ability to read and repair DNA, like a kind of cellular tune up. Spirulina is high in protein and has high concentration of beta carotene, vitamin B-12 and iron. Spirulina is rich in natural carotenoid antioxidants that pomotes cellular health and has cleansing chlorophyll which helps detoxify bodies that are always prone to present pollution.

You can read the full article here

2 comments:

  1. Do I have to get this at a specialty health store? Where should I look for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased mine in the vitamin section at Whole Foods. I would assume that any health food store would have it.

    ReplyDelete